Monday 16 January 2012

Weekend Update

I had originally planned to go for a short run with my friend B on Friday night.  This was in addition to my gym trip that morning. Cooking on gas. However, B was not able to make it on Friday evening and asked me whether I'd be able to go at 7.15 on Saturday morning instead.  Gulp. That's kinda early. Which is why 7.05 on Saturday morning saw me send B a text "I've changed my mind. Want to stay in bed :(". The response was quick and brutal. "Too late. I'm up, move yourself!". God bless that woman.

We walked over to the playing fields for as many laps as 20 minutes could achieve.  This is not as many laps as you might think, as I lumber my way slowly along the post-injury comeback trail.  The playing fields did not look particularly inviting.

Farncombe playing fields. Murky
We got started and towards the end of the first lap I felt quite puffed out and decided to have a little walk.  I think this is partly down to my loss of fitness and partly due to the fact that it was bloody FREEZING. The air seemed to freeze as it went into my lungs and made them feel really heavy.  We continued to puff around and managed 1.5 miles in 20 minutes.  By the end of the run, my fringe was actually frozen.  Jumped straight into a hot shower when I got home.  Brrrr. 

Blackheath Common - a lovely place to walk

Had just about reached normal body temperature by the time Murdoch and I left for our Saturday afternoon social walk.  I love doing this walk.  For a start it's lovely at Blackheath (Surrey, not London). But mostly because it's a really nice bunch of people to walk with.  We're all there because our dogs have suffered behavioural problems of one sort or another, so we understand each other quite well.  We walked for an hour and then it was time to head home.  I was supposed to be heading out for a first wedding anniversary party, but I felt really tired and grotty - still haven't managed to shift the cold, so I stayed at home instead, with my Murdoch my only company and vapour rub my only comfort.
The sun coming up over Farncombe
Sunday dawned and I went out just after 8 o'clock to walk Murdoch. What a glorious day - frosty and clear with bright sunshine.  It was the kind of day that makes me feel really grateful to live where I do among such lovely countryside.  The rest of the day was taken up with housework - does hoovering count as cross training?  

Murdoch enjoying the frost

No comments:

Post a Comment